• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Windows - where to start

RogerS

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
15,620
Reaction score
1,325
Location
Somerset
We inherited these rare windows when we bought our place. They were installed by that well known craftsman - Dogs. I believe his surname is Dinner. The catches are awful and I'd hoped for a quick replacement. Mission Impossible. It's a job for next summer, I think, when I can take out both casements.

Let me introduce you to his workmanship.

The front of the casements are proud of the frame by 10mm at the bottom

20260929_172109.jpg20260929_172332.jpg

and 4mm at the top on both
20260929_172344.jpg

Naturally this leaves a large gap on the inside - filled with lots of foam rubber.

20260929_172151.jpg

But that large 10mm gap limits the choice of window catch. My first thought was that he'd fitted the hinges too far out but as you can see from this photo it can't get any closer to the frame. Thing is when you look at the other casement hinge.....

20260929_172408.jpg

...it's a different type and with oodles of room to move the bottom of the casement back to somewhere more sensible.

But the complete bodge-up aka cock-up par excellence is par for the house. So I'm thinking next summer, get a set of window catches and fasteners, remove the windows - hope they are in wind - and refit using butt hinges. Does that sound like a plan?



That is if the house hasn't collapsed to the ground before then....:cry::cry:

These from just three rooms.- my bedroom, kitchen , conservatory/kitchen wall......more elsewhere in the house.
Tell-tale 24 Aug.jpgP1130021.JPG20260929_135724.jpg
 
Back
Top