• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Your favourite listenings......

I didn't get hooked on JMJ in the 70's but was aware of his presence. The Old Grey Whistle Test was where it was at!

I remember this track from back then. It was posted to me by a guitar mate on FB. A blast from that past!

Keep going right up to the credits - they blew me away!

Oh, and play it loud!

[youtube]9_torOTK5qc[/youtube]
 
Indeed, Andy!

Checkout their YT channel. I tried to load 'If You Leave Me Now' on here but it wouldn't load for some reason.

I've just started going through their list - 'I'm a man' ( originally Spenser Davis, covered by Chicago, now by Leonid!)
 
Malc2098":uvh6q49z said:
Indeed, Andy!

Checkout their YT channel. I tried to load 'If You Leave Me Now' on here but it wouldn't load for some reason.

I've just started going through their list - 'I'm a man' ( originally Spenser Davis, covered by Chicago, now by Leonid!)

You must get your IT sorted. Works fine here. and it is good very good. I see they have an album "Chicagovich". :)
 
Malc2098":2nlf4wzi said:
I didn't get hooked on JMJ in the 70's but was aware of his presence. The Old Grey Whistle Test was where it was at!

I remember this track from back then. It was posted to me by a guitar mate on FB. A blast from that past!

Keep going right up to the credits - they blew me away!

Oh, and play it loud!

[youtube]9_torOTK5qc[/youtube]


Very Tight ! I love to see musicians where it just comes natural.

as for the whistle test .. I missed out on a lot of great TV programs on the past , due to reading the name of the show literally .. I mean .. who would want to watch grey whistles being tested ! ? :oops:
Hong Kong Phooey was another ! .. I thought it was a travel program for years :lol:

as far as guitar goes, I did like a bit of Satriani .. still have a couple of albums somewhere .. but never get time to listen to much of anything lately.
 
TrimTheKing":3p6acj09 said:
[emoji1369]now that is some guitar pluckin'!!

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


More widdlin' thank pluckin' I would say!
 
No Supertramp. No Paul Weller / Style Council / The Jam. No David Bowie..

I thought this was a British forum?

I've always thought that Bat Out Of Hell by Meat Loaf was the best song ever for me, but a few years ago someone gave me a copy of I'd Rather Go Blind by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa (the studio version only) and now I'm not sure anymore.

My brother claims to have everything Pink Floyd ever recorded, including bootlegs. If you look at the enormous pile of vinyl and plastic you tend to believe him.

When my posts don't need moderation anymore I'll try those YouTube links.

@ 9fingers: if you're on Firefox, you could download this extension ( http://www.downloadhelper.net/ ). It will download the complete video + audio track to your local PC. VLC media player (free) will rip the audio track at a rather blinding speed (the how of it might need explaining, which I'm willing to do).

YouTube has indeed changed their policy recently, but the trick above doesn't seem to know that yet. : )
 
never heard of Beth Hart before Rob so had to google.

here is your YouTube click

[youtube]UEHwO_UEp7A[/youtube]

thanks for the heads up. Founds some great stuff with her and Jeff Beck.

Which led me to this. really gets going at about 1:40

[youtube]M7neHq9fpBc[/youtube]
 
I like to see youngsters taking a classic and doing their own spin on it.

[youtube]erRw9gVlRd4[/youtube]
 
I caught the tail end of a documentary about the late George.

Not a big fan, but he was certainly a great song writer and singer.

This is one of his best in my humble opinion.

[youtube]61NUDDXT9nU[/youtube]
 
This post's been quite for a while.

It's these guys again doing a bluegrass version of a 60s surf sound used by Q Tarrantino in Pulp Fiction.


[youtube]uqhoLgRynD8[/youtube]
 
Africa 8-)

Was on the radio yesterday morning while driving to the shops

[youtube]KP4Ed3xJ0t8[/youtube]


Very nice animated clip.
 
Phil":3q7ta3r6 said:
Africa 8-)

Was on the radio yesterday morning while driving to the shops

[youtube]KP4Ed3xJ0t8[/youtube]


Very nice animated clip.

Really nice. Somehow, I missed loads of the great music in the 70s and early 80s. It's great getting in to them now.
 
Try and listen to this through good speakers to hear the expressive yet understated guitar accompaniment.

And is it me, or does he still look like a 6th former?!

[youtube]eoSn2Y-b6wI[/youtube]
 
It's been miserable here in Bournemouth over Christmas - either pelting it down or that miserable freezing cold drizzle that seeps into your bones (although we have been lucky compared with oop narth).

Saw the elusive sun symbol on the forecast for this afternoon so I made myself a flask of coffee (fortified with a wee nip to keep out the cold) and some sandwiches and headed off down the beach for a walk with the trusty old ipod on shuffle. It's just ten minutes walk from my house and in the winter it can be virtually deserted. It was beautiful down there today, with just a few hardy souls braving a cold wind.

I was just sharing a smoked salmon sarnie with the seagulls under a lowering grey sky and enjoying the view when the skies began to clear and the sun appeared:

beachxmas2017.jpg


and then this popped onto the ipod:

[youtube]lIPan-rEQJA[/youtube]

It was a nice moment. Happy New Year to all.
 
Nice post, Terry.

I've got Fogerty's best of album. Nothing like a good bit of Swamp Rock at Christmas! ;)
 
AAAH! Nothing as good as the Birdy Song is there when you are trying to finish sand some rails!

(True recent experience!). Seriously though I like most things 60's, some classical stuff if I am pondering about something.

If I want to be loud I put on Stones or Final Countdown by Europe - old but good riff.

If I want to giggle I play Because I Got High by Afroman - utterly silly record but it always makes me feel cheerful!
 
I've been commissioned by a mate to make an SG double neck copy from a kit. I'm up for that.

I wonder if it'll sound the same as Jimmy Page's did in 1975!

[youtube]tK1p4ZaTM10[/youtube]
 
A new slant on a Fleetwood Mac favourite.

[youtube]GkUt0DBgGM0[/youtube]
 
Well, it's colder than a witch's wotsit in the workshop today so no turning again. Instead, as is my usual Plan B, I made myself a sandwich and a flask of coffee, cued up a few albums on the trusty old iPod, and headed off down the beach.

You know what they say about British weather - "if you don't like it, wait ten minutes" - well, it was glorious down there for the first half hour, if a little chilly (hovering above 0degC):

(click on the pic for a better view)

IMG_20180205_1.jpg


Had the beach pretty much to myself - just a few hardy, well wrapped-up souls down there. Hard to believe it will be RAMMED with grockles in a few months (bless them :mrgreen: )Then the cloud rolled in:

IMG_20180205_2.jpg


Pretty spectacular, and only ten minutes walk from my house. Some days I just count my blessings....

Happy as Larry, sharing my sandwich with the seagulls and enjoying the view, here's what was cued up on the iPod:

JJ Cale - from the "Troubador" album:

[youtube]k3mrpVwpeFY[/youtube]

Rory Gallagher = from "Rory Gallagher":

[youtube]j75fl5lz2Pg[/youtube]

Rod Stewart - from "Every Picture Tells A Story":

[youtube]xf-GehYDGNc[/youtube]
 
Malc2098":1jvv6yut said:
I've been commissioned by a mate to make an SG double neck copy from a kit. I'm up for that.

I wonder if it'll sound the same as Jimmy Page's did in 1975!

Sorry I missed this...

Jimmy Page and the Gibson SG doubleneck are synonymous, and the Gibson is a great sounding guitar, but a bit of a backbreaker for live work. You need to tell your customer to get a wide strap for it!

It's an overlooked fact that Page actually preferred a Fender Electric XII, and that's what was used in the studio for that track. I think the Fender XII is best exemplified on Zep's "Thank You". I absolutely love the guitar on that track.

[youtube]QELQB8LpSiY[/youtube]

I'm lucky enough to own a 1966 Fender XII, and gigged with it for many years. I have played many electric XIIs, including the iconic Rickenbacker, and I prefer the Fender. My Fender Electric XII It absolutely nails "Thank You".
 
I don't know about one, several is in order. Nice to see 12 strings in there not many people play them which is a shame.
 
Andy, I don't have any video of me playing my Fender XII, but I have some (sorry, not great quality...) video of me playing my all-time favourite guitar, my cherry red Gibson ES-335, just like my hero Chuck Berry used to play. It's from a gig filmed a few years ago of the last band I was in. Sadly now defunct due to old age. The drummer was over 70 back then!

[youtube]SNxFElOy0zg[/youtube]
 
I suspect I might be a tiny bit older than Terry. I really do like the folky sound of the 12 string in the '60's, Roger McGuinn etc, even the Seekers and John Denver!

I might be tempted to build a 12 string Rickenbacker lookalike, but I would really like to make a 12 string acoustic. I haven't seen one in the good American kits yet.
 
selectortone":12qjal3x said:
Andy, I don't have any video of me playing my Fender XII, but I have some (sorry, not great quality...) video of me playing my all-time favourite guitar, my cherry red Gibson ES-335, just like my hero Chuck Berry used to play. It's from a gig filmed a few years ago of the last band I was in. Sadly now defunct due to old age. The drummer was over 70 back then!

[youtube]SNxFElOy0zg[/youtube]


The sum of the winter fuel allowance on that stage would keep a small country going for a decade!!! :D :D :D

Nice tune!
 
Malc2098":1333ahkf said:
The sum of the winter fuel allowance on that stage would keep a small country going for a decade!!! :D :D :D

Haha!

Those guys, from the Farnborough area, were a gigging band back in the late 1950s! They were a pro band ("Mike Raynor and The Condors") all through the 60s, made a couple of records, got radio plays and toured all over Europe. They broke up in the early 70s and reformed for a charity gig about ten years ago. They decided they'd like to do some more gigs but their lead guitar player couldn't do it as he had a regular gig so they asked me. I drove up and had a try out with them and we played our first gig the next weekend. I had played in covers bands for 30 plus years so I picked up their set very easily.

We played every few weeks up until a couple of years ago when old age and arthritis got the better of them. It was great fun and they were an amazing bunch of old geezers - they played support for many of the big names back in the day - Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Who and on and on. They had a wealth of absolutely hilarious stories about gigging back then, many x-rated!. Imagine having a season at a club in Denmark in the mid 60s - all those randy blonde Danish girls. A musos dream gig!!

It was an honour to be asked to play with them. My wife had died from cancer the year before after a long and very painful illness so they pretty much brought me back to the land of the living.
 
Back
Top