NickM
Old Oak
My wife goes to upholstery classes and her current project is a rather nice chair which she inherited from an elderly aunt. It was very tatty when we got it.

She is making good progress with the upholstery, but there are a couple of issues she has asked my to look at.
One is a small water stain on one of the arms:

I wonder if it has actually taken the finish off rather than stained the wood as such, and whether I can deal with that just by refinishing it - perhaps with some shellac after a VERY light sanding/wire tooling to blend the stained area with its the surroundings? Any thoughts?
The other problem is some missing inlay here and there. Like these pieces:

I've no idea what the inlay wood is so my plan for that is to use the palest wood I have (maple) and use stains to match the colour (a furniture restorer gave me some pigments which I can mix up with meths/shellac). Sound reasonable?

She is making good progress with the upholstery, but there are a couple of issues she has asked my to look at.
One is a small water stain on one of the arms:

I wonder if it has actually taken the finish off rather than stained the wood as such, and whether I can deal with that just by refinishing it - perhaps with some shellac after a VERY light sanding/wire tooling to blend the stained area with its the surroundings? Any thoughts?
The other problem is some missing inlay here and there. Like these pieces:

I've no idea what the inlay wood is so my plan for that is to use the palest wood I have (maple) and use stains to match the colour (a furniture restorer gave me some pigments which I can mix up with meths/shellac). Sound reasonable?