• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Small restoration project - advice sought

NickM

Old Oak
Joined
Dec 8, 2020
Messages
1,553
Reaction score
866
Location
Near Basingstoke
My wife goes to upholstery classes and her current project is a rather nice chair which she inherited from an elderly aunt. It was very tatty when we got it.

IMG_2690.jpeg

She is making good progress with the upholstery, but there are a couple of issues she has asked my to look at.

One is a small water stain on one of the arms:

IMG_2692.jpeg

I wonder if it has actually taken the finish off rather than stained the wood as such, and whether I can deal with that just by refinishing it - perhaps with some shellac after a VERY light sanding/wire tooling to blend the stained area with its the surroundings? Any thoughts?

The other problem is some missing inlay here and there. Like these pieces:

IMG_2691.jpeg

I've no idea what the inlay wood is so my plan for that is to use the palest wood I have (maple) and use stains to match the colour (a furniture restorer gave me some pigments which I can mix up with meths/shellac). Sound reasonable?
 
Not sure about the water mark, fine wire wool followed by French polish would be my guess.
The inlay looks like boxwood to me,
I suspect you’re wife like most thinks that we can perform miracles, not an easy repair as you know.
Ian
 
If it is water, would the old warm iron and a cloth trick work to remove the bloom ?
 
How about this video for a little help:

[youtubessl]c13PFUxrXuNtZXre[/youtubessl]

Or Thomas Johnson, who I reckon is a bit of a finishings genius:

[youtubessl]XLRT_wka4dKGDPQ1[/youtubessl]
 
Thanks all.

Mike, I've watched a lot of Thomas Johnson videos in the past and agree that he is very good. I love his laid back style as well.
 
Back
Top