Hypnotic Chimera
Seedling
- Joined
- Aug 11, 2025
- Messages
- 41
- Reaction score
- 28
- Name
- Mark H
- LOCATION
- nr Lincon
I've posted some of the very beginning stages of this ambitious project on another forum, but I thought you may also be interested in it over here too.
I have a Tiny Shed that I've "converted" into a "workshop"... It's not much of a workshop, really, but it's where my little projects take place. At present it's a single layer shiplap "building"... kind of a building, anyway... in reality it was an rear-end-extension of an existing self-built car port. (There are a few pictures in my Introductions thread).
I've been using it for a couple of years (although not much this year since I've been working away from home for most of it and had to catch up on other things since I've been back).
I have a couple of issues with it that I want to rectify:
The floor was originally laid as a frame on gravel (on compacted driveway hardcore) and there is now several years later a bit of movement and sagging - possibly from adjacent tree's roots - possibly from rodent burrow...
It gets cold and damp in winter - not a massive deal breaker for a DIY workshop - but my hand planes are picking up a bit of surface rust, so I'm looking to insulate and damp-proof.
The last two things are kind of linked - my workshelf (can't in any conscience call it a workbench!) is built attached to the wall frame - and I am cognisant that my tools can be noisy - and the thin timber-wall-borne shelf exacerbates the sound transmission of router and little PT - so I'm really looking to make the project first and foremost around sound-isolation.

Which means I'll be making my Tiny workspace even tinier... because any and all of the internal thermal and sound insulation will be competing with the space constraints = and I want to retain as much of the internal space in my Tiny/Tinier Shed while filling the existing wall frame with insulation and covering them with internal boards.
I already have a really detailed - and I mean extremely detailed - plan. And I'm doing this solo - and also on the tightest budget possible. £NormalRules means least expense for most function available
Oh - and I also want to demonstrate and quantify the actual amount of sound-isolation that the project wins me. Not just an overall number - but over different stages and over the (measurable) frequency range.
I have a Tiny Shed that I've "converted" into a "workshop"... It's not much of a workshop, really, but it's where my little projects take place. At present it's a single layer shiplap "building"... kind of a building, anyway... in reality it was an rear-end-extension of an existing self-built car port. (There are a few pictures in my Introductions thread).
I've been using it for a couple of years (although not much this year since I've been working away from home for most of it and had to catch up on other things since I've been back).
I have a couple of issues with it that I want to rectify:
The floor was originally laid as a frame on gravel (on compacted driveway hardcore) and there is now several years later a bit of movement and sagging - possibly from adjacent tree's roots - possibly from rodent burrow...
It gets cold and damp in winter - not a massive deal breaker for a DIY workshop - but my hand planes are picking up a bit of surface rust, so I'm looking to insulate and damp-proof.
The last two things are kind of linked - my workshelf (can't in any conscience call it a workbench!) is built attached to the wall frame - and I am cognisant that my tools can be noisy - and the thin timber-wall-borne shelf exacerbates the sound transmission of router and little PT - so I'm really looking to make the project first and foremost around sound-isolation.

Which means I'll be making my Tiny workspace even tinier... because any and all of the internal thermal and sound insulation will be competing with the space constraints = and I want to retain as much of the internal space in my Tiny/Tinier Shed while filling the existing wall frame with insulation and covering them with internal boards.
I already have a really detailed - and I mean extremely detailed - plan. And I'm doing this solo - and also on the tightest budget possible. £NormalRules means least expense for most function available
Oh - and I also want to demonstrate and quantify the actual amount of sound-isolation that the project wins me. Not just an overall number - but over different stages and over the (measurable) frequency range.
Last edited:







