• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Your favourite listenings......

Time for some blues!

A lively and amusing version of W C Handy's St Louis Blues, with a little Italian dramatic interpretation.

I'm a rubbish guitar player, but I can sometimes make a tune sound reasonable. However, I am in absolute awe of what people can do with 8 fingers and two thumbs on a piano!!

[youtube]jSWYbVi4XlI[/youtube]
 
That was great! And it brought back memories too - my Dad was an excellent jazz pianist and could play that boogie-woogie twelve-bar style. St Louis Blues was one of his many party pieces.
 
selectortone":1sewold5 said:
That was great! And it brought back memories too - my Dad was an excellent jazz pianist and could play that boogie-woogie twelve-bar style. St Louis Blues was one of his many party pieces.


My fave version would be the march from the Glenn Miller Story!

If anyone can find that clip from the film, I'd be obliged.
 
Here's a bit of Flo 8-)

Haven't heard this in ages - brilliant song. So much energy. Love it.

[youtube]am6rArVPip8[/youtube]
 
Came across this cover of a Jackson Brown favourite. Outstanding, I thought.

[youtube]7JlFKS_1oZk[/youtube]

Then I found they did a CS&N cover. Fantastic harmonies!

[youtube]S23VK1v9dB8[/youtube]
 
Malc2098":1cg6tf96 said:
I suspect I might be a tiny bit older than Terry. I really do like the folky sound of the 12 string in the '60's, Roger McGuinn etc, even the Seekers and John Denver!

I might be tempted to build a 12 string Rickenbacker lookalike, but I would really like to make a 12 string acoustic. I haven't seen one in the good American kits yet.


I found one!!

Could turn out to be a WIP!
 
MartinF":36p628vu said:
Malc said that he was in absolute awe of what people can do with 8 fingers and two thumbs on a piano. Here’s another take on this. Sorry I can’t work out how to insert a video clip hence the YouTube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8R0ZwYvXpg

Brilliant, Martin. I reckon there's some of us here remember his 'Phonetic Punctuation' on the radio in the 60s!
 
I may have posted this one up before.

Pure classic.

Turn up the volume and enjoy. 8-)

[youtube]96rC4X_KWl4[/youtube]
 
Just found this. I think it must be one of my all time favourite songs.

I can't help being and ole softy!

[youtube]SSJ3dOn1dFg[/youtube]
 
A slice of brilliant U2.

I sing the chorus into the mirror at every opportunity. :lol:

[youtube]-LHPRbEAxy4[/youtube]
 
Melody Gardot is my new favourite

[youtube]_qphknagXqA[/youtube]

OK this one is a bit too schmaltzy with all those strings but I still like her voice.

This one is more her style

[youtube]6wnWatzb7Wg[/youtube]

Very tight backing band
 
If you like your heavy rock jazzed up.......

.......cabaret style


[youtube]wAQ7autd61g[/youtube]
 
Malc2098":3jqf0h2n said:
selectortone":3jqf0h2n said:
That was great! And it brought back memories too - my Dad was an excellent jazz pianist and could play that boogie-woogie twelve-bar style. St Louis Blues was one of his many party pieces.


My fave version would be the march from the Glenn Miller Story!

If anyone can find that clip from the film, I'd be obliged.


I found a version by the modern GMO on the second half of this vid!

[youtube]mkqJXB1_8Ps[/youtube]
 
How to shred Johann Sebastian,

I'm not sure my 12 string will sound quite like this.

[youtube]tt1i8pDeCf4[/youtube]
 
Nice one Roger. I've never heard of Melody Gardot before - lovely voice and vibe. 8-)
 
Here are two classics.

Some folk will be familiar with the signature part, but the complete work is really important to appreciate it.

Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (stunning piano playing) and Rossini's William Tell Overture - although not the complete work.

[youtube]AAu6BRWL8p8[/youtube]

[youtube]93vYe8UWnLs[/youtube]
 
Brilliant, Paul

I can remember Andrew and Julian Lloyd Webber relating their version back in the '70s when it became the theme music for the South bank Show. Still got the vinyl.

I still know all the words to the William Tell Overture! :D That's what comes of having watched the Lone Ranger so often!
 
Hi-ho Silver! :eusa-dance: I don't remember watching it. Must be before my time.

There's also a popular part of Rach's Rhapsody (roughly 3/4's the way in) people will be familiar with, but in my mind, the whole piece needs to be listened to before this bit which can build up a picture in one's mind about whatever.

I've seen this performed live a few times and with a passionate pianist like Daniil Trifonov performing it, takes the music and atmosphere to another level. 8-)
 
Here's what I think is Rachmaninov's best piano concerto (#3) performed by Daniil Trifonov.

I remember going a bit loopy one night during 1998 when I was living in a caravan on the Purbeck as a poet hermit. It was very late and the weather was very stormy with several thunder & lightening storms on the go. I was by myself in a field not far from the clifftop, reasonably drunk and listening to Rach's 3rd. The caravan almost fell over in the wind, so I ran outside in a rage, whipped off my throw (I only wore a throw, straw hat and sandals back then) and ran towards the cliff with my arms stretched out afar, fists clenched shouting something like "Come on give it it to me! Take me brother and have my soul!" The whole experience was exhilarating.

After a while and dripping wet (I was only in me sandals), I stumbled back to the caravan which was still upright, fell in through the door onto my back and Rach's 3rd was still playing - bliss. I then had another couple of beers, scribbled a poem and nodded off shortly after.

Oh aye... they were the days. 8-)

[youtube]VffzZXniMsg[/youtube]
 
Pinch":1saj90mz said:
Here's what I think is Rachmaninov's best piano concerto (#3) performed by Daniil Trifonov.


Paul, have you watched this one with a fairly young Martha Argerich?
Apparently recorded in the early 80's.
Just watch her face and expressions.

[youtube]MOOfoW5_2iE[/youtube]
 
Nice listenings, Phil.

I recently watched a recording of the documentary about the Tornado going for 100mph last year.

There's some nice listenings in there, too!

[youtube]xcBPrfCQMBQ[/youtube]
 
I remember visting Fort William in the 90's we never got to see the steam pulled train, but heard the engine taking the train out if the station and the plume of smoke showed it's progress. Even from a distance it's still magic.
I still think a stream engine comes alive when it's in stream, after having the opportunity to drive the narrow gauge engine at Bressinham, which was a cold collection of bits of metal when I got there. It was something completely different once the fire was lit and stream raised. If you ever get the change to even stand on the foot plate of a live engine, do it.
 
Malc2098":10ya7x3w said:
Nice listenings, Phil.

I recently watched a recording of the documentary about the Tornado going for 100mph last year.

There's some nice listenings in there, too!


Thanks for the link Malc.

100 MPH (160KM) is very fast considering its steam and the age of the loco.

The best we did in SA was with an electric loco, 245KPH in 1975. Not too shabby for 3' 6" gauge.

http://www.theheritageportal.co.za/arti ... rail-gauge
https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/sas-she ... ng-1053555
 
Hi Phil, thanks for posting up the Martha performance of Rach #3. I'm looking forward to watching and listening tonight. :D
 
Pinch":2ls1w547 said:
Hi Phil, thanks for posting up the Martha performance of Rach #3. I'm looking forward to watching and listening tonight. :D


Enjoy it Paul, one of my favourite viewings.
 
Nothing like a bit of Isaac Hayes uked to bring a smile to your face!

[youtube]NlMT-oEIQuo[/youtube]
 
Some of you might remember a thread I started about my time at the Totnes School Of Guitarmaking, and the acoustic guitar I built there. Here's something I never get tired of listening to - it's my son playing the aforesaid guitar. Not too long after the guitar was finished he recorded Tommy Emmanuel's version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" for his then girlfriend, now wife Chloe. I'm pleased to say that ten years or so further down the road the guitar sounds better and better with every passing year, and John's guitar playing does too. I don't have this on youtube, it's a link to my website, but should play OK if you click on it:

Chloe's Rainbow
 
I was taking my customary stroll on the beach today when this popped onto the iPod - it's a bonus track on the Vols 1 & 3 Traveling Wilburys box set (there never was a vol2 btw...). This was a staple of semi-pro bands the length and breadth of the country back in the good old days and I wish I had the proverbial nickel for every time I've played it. An astoundingly good and faithful note-for-note cover version by the Wilburys of the old Del Shannon classic, with great backing vocals:

[youtube]KdMTm3bFP5s[/youtube]
 
Nice.

My band did it, too, with the lead guitar covering the organ solo.

It always went down well.
 
Maybe posted before .....

It was on the radio this morning while I was making coffee


[youtube]Y2OQzk8SQW4[/youtube]


Still a favorite, and yes, she could have parked her shoes under my bed anytime. 8-)

My youthfull crush on her, Sofia Loren and a few others 8-) 8-)
 
Back
Top