DaveL
Old Oak
Now you know why I like to screw the job down. [emoji3]















Andyp":1l5082gl said:I’m still watching Malc with interest and in awe.
You’ve really got those timbers figured out now.






Phil":19o4nrjp said:Very interesting Malc.
:text-goodpost:







DaveL":37dt1gqq said:That's looking good.
As for the thumb print, I always add at least two different prints to any device, this was after having a boil lanced and not being able to get into the data centre the next day.[emoji849]




Robert":1tpdkgtd said:Ever thought about vacuum clamping like I've done for veneering? Pressure exerted is enormous and even. Then you would only need the male half of your former and you could compensate for the slight spring back by adjusting the shape without needing to match a female former.
Just a thought
Great thread Malc.
Robert":20j4ondg said:You don't need a thick bag. I've used very ordinary polythene bags for clamping smaller jobs. As long as there are no sharp corners on the former or the work it works fine. A bit of cloth can protect on sharper bits if worried they may tear the bag, although the cloth can end up glued on... but if you are going to clean it up afterwards anyway..
















Woodbloke":tj5l6olt said:Nice work Malc. As an aside, I notice that you're using these one handed clamping jobbies which are OK but don't give nearly enough pressure. When I was at 'the old firm' they got hold of bit of kit that could test the effective pressure of each type of clamp, which was then published on their website, so those one handed things will only go to a paltry 100kg max; see this particular one grabbed at random: https://www.axminstertools.com/axminste ... 0mm-105254
...whereas a bog standard sash cramp goes up to 600kg and a T-Bar goes up to 800kg. I have a couple of those one handed things and they're useful from time to time, but not for general, everyday sort of work - Rob
Andyp":24tvt0cp said:Wise words Malc which sums up the very best of what this forum, and others, are all about. No matter what we do, or how skilled we are, we can all learn and inspire others in ways that may not always seem obvious.
I can only hope that others can find the time to share what we do more often.